The EGI ISO certifications: new and improved service delivery

Yannick Legré writes about what the certificates mean for the EGI Community

The post delivery on a fine Wednesday afternoon back in March included a very special package: the official print certificates sent by TÜV SÜD to confirm that the EGI Foundation has been awarded a ISO 9001:2015 and a ISO/IEC 20000-1:2011.

This was excellent news. EGI is now the first European-wide publicly-funded e-infrastructure to be certified to ISO standards, sign of its maturity and of the competence of its actors.

The certifications demonstrate that our management systems regarding the EGI Service Catalogue follow the requirements of the ISO 9001:2015 and ISO/IEC 20000-1:2011 standards. This includes all activities of planning, implementation, monitoring and continual improvement of all processes.

In short, this means that we can offer better services to the EGI consumers and more value to the EGI Council.

The long road towards certification started with a strategic commitment by the EGI Council to establish efficient processes to manage EGI’s service offer. The first step began in 2015 with the full implementation of FitSM, a lightweight version of the ISO 20000 standard.

Having FitSM in place and all the EGI Foundation staff trained and certified in service management according to this standard meant that EGI service management was already complying with about 80% of the ISO standards. The preparations for the two rounds of audits in October and December 2016 ensured that the remaining 20% requirements were also met.

The hard work of the past two years paid off: we can now be sure that we are operating improved, high-quality and reliable services to better serve our user base. And we do so with consistent, clear, streamlined processes that assure our stakeholders a better return on investment.

And that, for me, is the definition of a win-win!

The ISO 9001:2015 certification covers all business processes including administration and finance, human resources, quality management, risk management, business relationships and continuous improvement.
The ISO/IEC 20000-1:2011 certification is a specialization of the previous designed to cover all IT-related services including compute, storage and data as well as internal services enabling Federation.
The certifications are an achievement of the EGI-Engage project, co-funded by the European Union (EU) Horizon 2020 program under grant number 654142.

More information

Yannick Legré is the Managing Director of the EGI Foundation

Follow Yannick on Twitter @ylegre