The EGI call for COVID-19 research projects is now open
About the call
Accelerating progress on COVID-19 research
The EGI Federation brings together hundreds of research data centres at research institutes and national and international laboratories in Europe, Africa, the Asia Pacific region, Canada and Latin America, who collaborate to support advanced data-driven research projects. The EGI Federation includes the largest research cloud federation in Europe, with over 20 research cloud providers connected from across the whole continent.
The OSG facilitates access to distributed high throughput computing for US based researchers and their international collaborators. Researchers can submit batch jobs from their home institutions, or receive accounts on OSG supported submit points, to run simulations or analyze data across more than 100 clusters, HPC centers, and commercial cloud providers.
By joining their efforts EGI and OSG are opening their infrastructures to respond together to computational and data intensive COVID-19 research projects.
Open access: all project outputs, data and related publications are required to be made accessible based on the FAIR principles. For more information please consult the COVID-19 Data Portal and the guidance document for H2020 projects supporting COVID-19 research.
EGI and OSG encourage COVID-19 research projects to apply to this call and take advantage of:
- sponsored access to computing and storage facilities of EGI and OSG to perform high-performance simulations and data analytics
- support from cloud, compute and data architects to port scientific applications and datasets to EGI compute and storage resources
- catalogue of ready-to-use, pre-configured virtual machine images that can run on any of the federated EGI cloud centres
- Jupyter notebook and other interfaces to access scientific data and to define, run and refine data analysis code and workflows
By applying to the call you can access:
- Infrastructure-as-a-Service clouds, HTC compute and storage resources of EGI and OSG in the USA.
- Network of experts who can help you port custom data analytics and simulation applications and code to the infrastructure resources
- A portfolio of tools, applications and virtual machine images that can be used and customised on the infrastructure resources for your analysis
- Notebook interface, a workload manager and data management services to define and manage complex data staging and analysis scenarios
- Access to all these services via graphical portal, command line tools or Application Programming Interfaces